Friday, March 29, 2013

Week 7


WorldCat and More FirstSearch Indexes

Great Resource for librarians!  I’ve used this database for the information to put an entire library online and also for cataloging 2 church collections. 
I used the advanced search feature to search for a book I remember reading in grade school ‘Runaway Alice’. There were lots of hits.  Item #1 showed 16 copies worldwide. The top library is the Hartford Public Library in Illinois.  The LC call no. is PZ7.M9532. The subjects descriptor only had one:  Children’s stories.  I did see and alternate title ‘A nickel for Alice’.  Using the information I found, I searched online used bookstores and found a copy for myself.  Can’t wait to read it! Again.
Searched the WorldCat dissertations and theses and found that my uncle’s dissertation is in the National Agriculture Library in MD if I should ever want to read it.
In the OAIster database, I found an actual letter written to a lady in Minnesota from Sinclair Lewis talking about his journey through North and South Dakota. It looked like it was and actual scan of the letter.  Very cool.
I found the book ‘Digital Teaching Platforms : customizing classroom learning for each student’  and lo and behold, the top library is the South Dakota State Library.  May have to check that one out this summer!
Enjoyed this resource very much and spent way too much time looking for old books I remember.
Common Core:  If you can think of it you can find it.  8.W.8 Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively. 

1 comment:

  1. Lila, you really went to town on this one! Thanks for your comments and your enthusiasm!!

    ReplyDelete