Thursday, March 28, 2013

Week 5


Week 5: Gale Virtual Reference Library
I chose to look at: Ancient Europe, 8000 B.C. to A.D. 1000, 2004.  I read an article about Stonehenge and then searched Vikings within the text. The Vikings started invading England around 789 BC and they started the town of Dublin, Ireland.  The information was more archaeological which was not what I expected.  I found much more information when I searched the correct volume.  I found it easy to read and suitable for HS students and possibly JH students.  I see this as useful in a history classroom rather than a math classroom.
I tried searching ‘flipped classroom’, a hot topic in math but nothing came up so I tried ‘mass customized learning’ which yielded 2 articles about education and then numerous articles on steroids which didn’t make sense.  I opened the article ‘Technology in Education’ from the Encyclopedia of Education and was pleased that it was exactly what I was looking for.
The listening feature is great for students who are poor readers but I found it slow for my reading speed.  I did like that I could download the article to my eReader for later. The citation tools were great, too.
I know the GVRL also has many titles for Elementary students but I gather that SDSL does not subscribe to them since I didn’t see many titles for lower grades.
Common Core:  8.RIT.1 and 8.RIT.10 are 2 of the CC that stand out but actually all of the 8.RIT Reading: Informational Text would apply to most any article in this reference library.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Lila. SDSL has purchased titles for MS-adult. As is sometimes the case, you will find math-related information in the Science section. You are right--any of these titles is a great source of informational text. Thanks for the Viking information and for your comments here.

    ReplyDelete