Thursday, March 28, 2013

Week 6


Week 6:  I used EbscoHost a lot when it was still NetLibrary.  I have a friend who is a paleontologist and I went to here to read some of his books. I searched ‘T-Rex Sue’ and found a book on Sue’s history from discovery to the government’s confiscation and eventual home at the Chicago Museum.  Some of the books I had read earlier were no longer in the collection.  I am able to find books here that I would like to read but do not wish to purchase.    The 15 minute non active checkout time is good but I get dumped a lot. 
Searching ‘Constitution Day’ in all text fields brought up a lot of titles but nothing that seemed relevant.  When searching in Subject or Category, nothing was found.  Not the best resource for this type of search.
Searching ‘Oklahoma’ as publisher brought us several titles.  The Rapid City Indian School, 1898-1933’ was one I found interesting.  I had never heard of it.  I also liked the ‘Frontier Army in the Settlement of the West.”  I added it to my folder to peruse later.
Common Core: 8.RL and 8.RIT could both be covered here since the eBooks collections consist of both fiction and non-fiction.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Lila! Glad you found some good stuff here. For the Constitution Day question, let's think about what the student would need to know. There probably isn't a book about Constitution Day specifically, but they would need to know about the Constitution. If you search Constitution or US Constitution, you will get usable results. Your Common Core connection is solid. Thanks for your work here, Lila!

    ReplyDelete